Many people don’t know where to start when it comes to catalog design. This daunting task is made simple when you follow these helpful tips. Don't get overwhelmed with all of the pages and information you want to include; instead start by outlining the goal of the catalog. Figure out what you need to accomplish! There are many different types of catalogs such as wholesale product catalogs, apparel catalogs, course catalogs, jewelry catalogs, and service catalogs. Next, put yourself in the shoes of your audience. What would attract them, what information do they need, and what will keep them turning the pages. After gathering this information then start designing.
Depending on what you're trying to sell in your product or service catalog, you will need to include different information based off of the answer to one simple question: who is going to buy your product? Here are a few examples of ways to keep your audience in mine.
Don’t forget the catalog covers and overall catalog design and quality will make the first and most lasting impression! It doesn’t matter how great your information is, if you have poor images and poor print quality, your audience may be disinterested and less likely to read.
1. For your cover and design, use engaging colors, images, and design elements that represent you or your company.
2. Stick to a simple font that is easy to read. Consider size, style, and color. Make sure the emphasis is always on the product!
3. Use white space, and use your space wisely. Keep a good balance, don’t use too much or too little text or images. Compare your catalog to others of its kind to see if you're on the right track.
4. Eliminate unnecessary elements or distractions. Just because you think that one image is so cute, doesn't mean that it's necessary.
5. Select the appropriate finished size and know how you will distribute: mailing, handing out, or hanging in a display…
6. Full color images with 300 dpi or more resolution are perfect for catalogs.
7. Keep a consistent style and look throughout the entire document.
If you have an Adobe Program, you can utilize our free downloadable catalog templates to help with keeping your catalog design consistent. Not only that, but the templates will come with our PDF and Color presets to ensure your images and brand colors are exactly what you're expecting.
Not only that, but PrintingCenterUSA also provides a free online design tool for those that don't have a design program. Drag and drop your images and content to get the stunning layout design.
Aside from the recommended binding times from the various types of products listed in the "Keep Your Audience in Mind" section, most of our catalog product specifications are the same across the board.
Ink: Full Color both sides for both the cover and inside pages is highly recommended. This will make your images pop!
Paper: 80# Gloss Text and 80# Gloss cover are both recommended for a high-quality and durable paper at a low cost.
UV Coating: Add an extra UV Coating for protection of your cover. This is beneficial for catalogs that are going to be mailed.
Mailing: If you're wanting to send your catalogs directly to your customers, upload your mailing list and select address and mail on the pricing tool. You can mail extras to your business so you can have some for in-house as well.
PrintingCenterUSA can easily help you order a Catalog and have it shipped to your doorstep fast! We give you fast and free quotes, and have a knowledgeable staff and helpful customer service representatives who can help you get started.
Now that you've seen the best way to showcase your products, !
Not sure if a catalog is right for your needs? Click here to see all of our printing options.