Many people don’t know where to start when it comes to catalog design. This daunting task is made simple when you follow these helpful tips. First, do not get overwhelmed with all of the pages and information you want to include.
Start by outlining the goal of the catalog. Figure out what you need to accomplish there are different types such as a sales catalog, and informative piece, educational, a guide or a display catalog. Next, put yourself in the shoes of your audience. What would attract them, what information do they need, and what will keep them turning the pages. After gathering this information then start designing.
Don’t forget the design and print quality of your catalog printing is just as important as the information. It doesn’t matter how great your information is, if you have poor images and poor print quality, your audience may be disinterested and less likely to read.
What to say, how to say it, and where the information goes:
- Easy to follow information and images guide your reader through your pages.
- Focused information helps achieve your goal.
- Headings, images, and subheadings draw attention to important information.
- Direct your information to your reader. And, direct your reader through your information.
- Be simple, clean, and concise. Don’t overload your pages, instead add more pages.
- Wording is important. Be specific and give all necessary information but do not be too wordy.
- Use writing and images to communicate your goal and attract attention.
Do you have the look you want?
- Use engaging colors, images, and design elements that represent you or your company.
- Stick to a simple font that is easy to read. Consider size, style, and color.
- Use white space, and use your space wisely. Keep a good balance, don’t use too much or too little text or images.
- Eliminate unnecessary elements or distractions.
- Select the appropriate finished size and know how you will distribute: mailing, handing out, or hanging in a display…
- Full color images with 300dpi or more resolution are perfect for catalogs.
- Keep a consistent style and look throughout the entire document.
- Depending on the type of catalog; will you need a reference to your website, an order form, table of contents, glossary, index.
PrintingCenterUSA, Here to help
- Free drag and drop online catalog design tool.
- Free catalog templates
- 24/7 technical support
- Knowledgeable and helpful customer service staff
- We take care of the imposition (read this months printing tip to learn more)
- Free and fast printing quotes
- Easy catalog ordering with a variety of printing options